Static GunZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Static GunZ, A server which everyone will enjoy!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

D-Style Guide

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brilliant

Brilliant

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-07-31

D-Style Guide Empty
PostSubject: D-Style Guide   D-Style Guide EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 1:19 pm

D Style Guide

Table of Content
1. Introduction
2. Getting started
3. Basic techniques
4. Advanced techniques
5. Massive strike exploits
6. Lunging

Introduction

Why hello there! Welcome to my D style guide. Why did I bother writing this guide when there are plenty of other guides floating around the internet? Well, the current guide here is outdated and incorrect. Also, this guide is fairly exhaustive, coving just about everything every other d style guide covers, all in one. And before you say something, yes, I did get a lot of this information from other people or guides, I didn’t discover all these moves on my own. I will cite and thank anyone who was involved in the writing of this guide in the conclusion section.
Now, a little about me: I’ve been playing Gunz on and off since the month igunz opened. I’ve been D styling for almost a year now. I cannot hit all these moves 100% in a game situation, but I do practice them regularly and can do them at least sometimes.

Why would someone D style? Well, there are a number of reasons. D style gives you more control over your movement, is more evasive, the lighter weight lets you play around with more weapon combos without sacrificing too much armor, and it’s not nearly as popular as K style. I will be straight forward with it however, the learning curve is steep and D style is inferior to K style. But if you like playing with that extra challenge, then stab away!

So, you want to start D styling. You’re bored with K style or you want to be different or you want an extra challenge, or whatever your reason. Read through this guide. Read through it again. Go practice the moves. For God’s sake, don’t just strap on a dagger and figure things out as you go, that’s not d style, that’s idiocy.

Getting Started

Alright. So you decided you want to be a D stylist, well, it’s time to start looking like one! First thing is first. You need a dagger. But there are so many to choose from, so here is a quick break down of Premium and non premium daggers, I draw my conclusions on these daggers both from stats and personal experience (yes, I have every premium dagger)

Non-premium:
Rusty Dagger – it’s not especially light, it’s got low damage and high delay. Only time you should use it is when starting a new character. Don’t bother ever buying one

Iron Dagger – lower delay and higher damage than rusty dagger, but still not anything spectacular. I tend to skip on buying this since at low levels I’m usually strapped for cash, and you’ll be getting a new dagger in 4 levels anyway. I’d suggest against buying is

Military Dagger – First dagger with a decent amount of damage. Some might see the added weight as a drawback, but at lower levels you really shouldn’t have any problems staying within weight limits. I suggest buying this when available

Lightweight Dagger – lower damage than military dagger but also lower delay and lower weight. At level 18, you will likely be using breaker5/breaker6 or a Maxwell lx30 or a Walcom L1 so the weight might be necessary. Also, this lower delay is useful for some d style moves as you can cancel dashes quicker. It maybe be a good idea buying this unless you are the type to directly use your dagger (stabbing and lunge people)

High end Dagger – it has pretty good damage, fairly low delay, but high weight. If you are using the military dagger still, go ahead and buy it. If not, stick with that lightweight dagger.

Phantom Slaying Dagger – very low weight and a good amount of damage. If you don’t need the extra low delay of lightweight dagger, then definitely upgrade to this.

Warlord’s Gut Ripper – The highest damage dagger in the game. It’s a tad on the heavy side, but it has super low delay and high damage. If weight is not an issue, then this is the dagger to use in almost any situation.

So a quick breakdown-
If you find yourself stabbing and trapping people to death a lot, start with rusty, then get military, then high end, phantom slaying, and finally finish with the warlord’s gut ripper.
If you mostly use your dagger to move and don’t really use it a lot – start with rusty, then get military, then lightweight, then phantom slaying dagger
If you use advanced moves like RS yoyo quarter – start with rusty, then get military, then lightweight, then warlord’s gut ripper. You’ll need the low delay to pull off some of the more advanced D style moves.

Premiums:

Ridic Hunter dagger – at first I thought this was more of a novelty item, and then I realized it’s got its uses. It’s a 4 weight dagger (lowest weight) and adds AP. So if you just use your dagger for movement and mostly rely on your guns to deal damage, this isn’t a bad option. It’s low weight so you have more options for equipping armor and guns, and it adds AP so it’s almost like a piece of armor in and of itself. The drawbacks are it has low damage (8, same as a rusty) and mediocre delay(356), so if you plan on stabbing anyone or using any very advanced d style moves, you might find yourself in trouble.

Adventurer Dagger – honestly, this is a novelty item. It has mediocre delay (356), low damage (9). It’s essentially a level 0 iron dagger with 1 less weight. I wouldn’t bother purchasing this unless you want ever premium item like me.

Koden Knife – I also thought this dagger would be a novelty, but once again it has its uses. It’s a 4 weight dagger (lowest in the game) it has 10 damage, which is a fairly decent amount, and it has 346 delay, the lowest in the game. This dagger is a very good compliment to the Dark Sun Martial Dagger, and then at level 45 to the Warlord’s Gut Ripper. If you use either of those daggers as your main dagger, and find yourself just a tad bit over weight limit, try equipping this. Taking the hit in the dagger’s attack power may be worth that extra AP or being able to equip that second rocket.

Dark Sun Martial Dagger – this dagger is really quite overpowered for its level. It has good attack power and low delay. I would use this dagger exclusively (unless I needed more weight, then I’d use Koden Knife) until I got to level 45 and could equip a Warlord’s Gut Ripper

Well, now that you’ve read that huge wall of text just to equip one item, let’s move on to ranged weapons! Don’t worry; it won’t be nearly as bad this time around.

Now first things first, let’s get this straight out there. Dual shotgun is THE strongest weapon combination in the game. It has the highest spike damage, highest damage per second (when using RS), a good amount of damage per clip, and the spread combat lag quite well. I VERY much suggest you learn to use two shotguns regardless of style and you learn to RS and do it well. So if you are good at utilizing dual shotguns, you are proficient with RS, and you are using a male character, I STRONGLY suggest you use them. If you aren’t I still suggest you use them and try getting familiar with them.

However, if you are a female character, that might not be a viable option. Female characters cannot yoyo with a shotgun, so this can cause quite a few headaches. Still equipping one shotgun may be a good idea, without the ability to RS spam, the shotgun does lose a bit of an edge (but not much) I suggest using SG with rocket, revolver, or rifle. You maybe also want to try dual rockets or equipping two sets of dual revolvers. It is possible to use a female and two shotguns, but riquires mastery of blink step, which is considered a fairly advanced move by many.

Last edited by Brilliant on Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.staticgunz.powermmorpg.com
Brilliant

Brilliant

D-Style Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-Style Guide   D-Style Guide EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 1:20 pm

Basics techniques

Dash – with your melee weapon, double tap a direction key. This allows you to move faster than just regular running. Also since a dagger can’t block, you’ll rely heavily on evasion, meaning D style revolves heavily around dashing.

Stab - with your melee weapon out, tap left click. Now besides the obvious of this being your standard melee attack, the stab can cancel the dash animation. This allows you to make multiple dashes in one jump (further improving your evasiveness)

Lunge – right click with your melee weapon out. After a windup animation, you will slide forward and push the user. It does twice as much damage as a regular stab. There is also a chance that they will fall to the ground, leaving them vulnerable for a fairly long amount of time for you to shoot them. However, there is a long cool down time on this (where you can’t move and are vulnerable) so if they safe fall, expect to take a decent amount of damage. This move is pretty situational, and spamming it will get you killed against skilled players.

Massive – with your melee weapon out, hold left click. Once the “ping” sound is made, you have a massive. This does more damage than a regular stab and puts them in a “stunned” animation, giving you time to shoot them or do whatever.

Wall movement

Wall climbing – jump off the wall, stab, dash at the wall, repeat. This moves up walls faster than wall running or using wall hang and allows you more freedom of movement since you can dash away or sideways with the wall.

Multi wall running –You can link wall runs by stabbing after flipping off the wall from a wall run then dashing at the wall and double tapping space bar. This keeps you airborne and allows you to move around quickly. It’s especially effective on maps like port or in the town alley way.
Wall raiding – This is essentially cutting out the jump from multi wall run. While wall running, stab, then quickly double tap space bar. This should allow you to instantly start another wall run. You will maintain the same altitude on the wall (or drop a little if you delay it just right)

Quick stick - jump, stab, wall hang (space bar, left click, right click) this makes your wall hang animation go much faster. Very situational move but can be useful in some situations.

Quick climb – this is a technique that allows you to use quick stick and wall climb together to allow you to scale walls incredibly fast. You must bind your wall hang to a keyboard key. Now hold down your wall hang key, hold W, and spam space bar and left click. This should allow you to climb walls VERY fast.

Gravity Shift - while in the air, dash at the wall, make sure you’re at the correct angle, stab and double tap space bar quickly. This allows you to “fall” into a wall run and you don’t have to touch the ground to wall run. I use this move a lot in the main room of dungeon on the large flat brick wall part of the top platform.

Ground movement

Dagger Train – Dash, stab, repeat. The purpose of this is when you stab, you cancel the dash. This allows you better evasiveness and control over your mobility.

Dagger Flash – Jump, dash, stab, dash, repeat. This is essentially dagger train in the air. The addition of jump just gives another axis of play that the opponent has to try to follow to aim on you. By cancelling the stab animation, you can dash 2 and even 3 times in one jump, making you incredibly evasive when used effectively.

Attacking

Circling/Cornering – This name is pretty self explanatory. When you stab a person, you attempt to second guess their path of escape and get in front of that so they are still stuck. This is much easier to do against a wall or in a corner as they server to block off possible pathways of escape.

JSD – Jump, shoot, dash. Pretty self explanatory if you ask me. Dash around with your dagger, then jump and switch to your gun at the same time. Take a shot, and then switch back to your dagger and dash. It’s a good beginner D style move and until you learn yoyo, your only real gun based move. But don’t rely on it too heavily, as more skilled players can easily counter it.

JSF – JSD with a dagger flash at the end. Jump and switch to your gun, shoot, switch to your dagger, dash, stab, dash. This makes you a tad bit more evasive than regular JSD and since d style is all about speed and evasion, that’s a good thing.
Flip Stab shot – Flip off the wall, stab and hold, and switch to gun all basically at the same time. You will get a shot off pretty quick. It’s a very good wall technique for aerial D stylists.

Advanced techniques:

Yoyo – dash (optional), jump, switch to weapon, at peak of jump, dash. This neat little glitch lets you dash with your gun out. This move is the equivalent to SS for K stylers, and will likely replace JSD as soon as you become proficient at it.

Double yoyo – You don’t actually need to have a dagger to yoyo, in fact, you don’t even need a melee weapon! A double yoyo is when you chain multiple yoyos together by switching between your first and second gun. The steps would look something like this: (with melee out) dash, jump and switch to gun1, dash, jump and switch to gun 2, dash, jump and switch to gun 1, dash, etc. This is useful for maintaining a quick pace while keeping an offensive presence (you can dash and shoot continuously)

Perfect yoyo – if a yoyo is timed right, you do not need to switch when you jump. You MUST dash exactly at the peak of the jump, or your character will tumble. Steps: dash, jump and switch to gun, dash, jump, dash, jump, dash, jump, dash, etc. This is useful with automatics as you can continuously shoot it and maintain your yoyo. It’s also good for reloading, as it’s more evasive than tumbling.

Quick Switch yoyo – since females cannot yoyo with SGs, this is a way to work around that little disadvantage. Essentially, you are performing a yoyo with a different gun then switching to your shotgun to take the shot. Steps: dash, jump and switch to non SG gun, dash and switch to SG, shoot. you will shoot the shotgun right before you hit the gound, making yoyohalfs and the like impossible. Using a rocket/shotty combo and doing quick switch yoyo shooting both guns in each jump is popular amongst female d stylers and can be quite devestating if used correctly.

Yoyo half – perform a yoyo, take the shot as early in your yoyo hop as you can, then switch back to dagger and dash again. This gives you a second dash in your jump which makes you more evasive and give you more control and mobility over your character.

Yoyo quarter – perform a yoyo, take the shot as early in your yoyo hop as you can, then switch back to dagger and dash again. As soon as you start the dash, stab to cancel that dash and dash again. This gives you 3 dashes per jump, which makes you incredibly evasive.

RS yoyo – perform a yoyo, take the shot as early in your yoyo hop as you can, then hit reload RIGHT AFTER the shot and switch to your other gun. You can now take 2 shots per yoyo hop. Also, it is possible to RS yoyo half and RS yoyo quarter. To RS yoyo quarter, however, you MUST reload cancel both shots to cut down on switch time and use a low delay dagger (warlord’s gut ripper, lightweight, koden knife, or dark sun martial dagger)

Wall/Aerial yoyo – steps: dash at the wall, stab so you hit the wall at the second half of your stab animation. Stab again to cancel the flip and switch to your gun. At the peak of your jump, dash. If you are an aerial D stylist, this, wall raiding, and flip stab shot are going to be your bread and butter. This can also be used in combos and other moves flow into it quite well. As with any other yoyo, you can RS this and half/quarter it. It flows well into gravity shifting for easy potshots around corners on walls.

Blink step – This move is mostly for females who use two shotguns, I haven’t found much use in it outside of that (although there may be some) there are two ways to do it, a hard way and an easy way. Easy way: start with a gun out. Switch to dagger and dash at the peak of your jump (do a yoyo, but with your dagger instead of your gun out) then switch to your shotgun and shoot. It is essentially a quick switch yoyo, but you switch from your dagger to a shotgun instead of from a non SG gun to a shotgun. The second, harder way is essentially a perfect quick switch yoyo. You jump, silent dash with your dagger (must be perfect timing) then switch to your shotgun. This is much harder to perform but flows better since you can go straight from dagger to a blink step and don’t have to switch to a gun to blink step.

Evasion

Space invaders – Ever play space invaders? Even though those guys move on a set pattern, they are kind of tough to hit sometimes, aren’t they? Try applying that to your playing. If a guy is shooting at you, don’t move straight on him. Dash left, then forward, then right, then left, then forward, then left, then left again, then forward, etc. Switch it up, stay unpredictable, but don't forget to make some progress on him.

Reverse flash – This move consists of three parts: the float, the dash, and the flash. To float you must dash, then stab and jump in quick succession. To practice this, do it on town. It should allow you to float from one side of the road to the other. Once you get that down, at the peak of your float, dash back the other direction. Then to increase evasiveness, do a dagger flash (stab cancel that dash and dash another direction) steps: dash, stab and jump, dash, stab, dash. It is possible to cancel that dash and do a 4th one if you are using a low delay dagger.
Back to top Go down
Brilliant

Brilliant

D-Style Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-Style Guide   D-Style Guide EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 1:22 pm

Massive strike exploits:

Block Tap - This is a neat little trick that's useful for stopping those that are a little too familiar with their shift key. What the point of this move is, is to trigger a massive without getting recoiled. This leaves you free to dash away and if they are foolish enough to use their massive, you can now move in for a stab combo or PB him with your shotun. There are two ways to do this. The first way is to abuse the lag by stabbing just before you reach them (think of it as "lead stabbing") so your client reads it as a miss, but their client reads it as a hit and they get massive. A little more reliable way is to quickly turn your camera away from your opponent as you move in to stab (i personally look straight down)

Ghost evade – So every now and then your block tap will fail. You’ll get recoiled and their sword will be shiny. Nothing left to do but sit back and wait to get pwnerized, right? Wrong. Right when your opponent starts to throw their massive, quickly turn your camera 45* to the left or right. If done correctly, you will be unhurt. And better yet, they will be stuck in that incredibly long animation and you won’t.

Magician switch – Now you’ve been practicing Ghost evade and you’re 10/10 fux pro at it. It’s neat for avoiding the pain but not too great an offensive tool, right? Wrong. When you start to go into the recoil animation, switch to a gun. When you come out of the animation, your character will automatically switch “just like magic” so now they are sitting in that uber long massive animation and you have a shotgun pointed at their face. Guess what you should do next.

Phantoming – So you’ve got Ghost evade down pat. Now comes using ghost evade whenever you feel you want to (not just when getting recoiled) when you get blocked, you take a step back, putting you slightly off center. So to phantom, you come at someone with a massive slightly off center, then when they attempt to massive you, you ghost evade like usual.

Lunging

Dagger Gatling – To perform this move, you will take damage; it’s the way it works. Let’s say someone is coming at you with butterfly or double butterfly. This move is a very effective way to stop them. The steps themselves are just stab and lunge in quick succession, but you must time it so they slash you as you start to lunge them. They get hit by the lunge and get pushed back, but your lunge animation gets cancelled. Now since you don’t have to go through that long lunge animation, you can do as you please, such as switch to a gun and shoot them run away, attempt another lunge, whatever you feel is necessary.

Instafall – This isn’t so much an exact move with steps as a concept. If you lunge someone while they are on the last frame of their animation, they CANNOT safe fall. Give it a try some time, if you see someone wall hanging (which is a static move, no animation after the hang) lunge them. They will always fall, never land on their feet. Now this can be applied to in battle as well. For instance, when someone is attempting to massive you, you can ghost evade, stab them, and then attempt to lunge at the right time and instafall them.

Extended Lunge – This is THE fastest way to move around in the game. Bar none. The steps are a dash and lunge done in unison (w, w and right click) the timing is very precise, however. What this does is continues your movement in the direction you dashed at the speed of a lunge for the entire lunging animation. You can move great distances very quickly. I find myself using it at the beginning of some TDM rounds to get a head start to a strategic position over the other team.

Screenshot Lunge - Some people look down upon this and compare it to N-stepping. It’s exploiting a glitch in the game using in game features, just like K style, so I’m adding it to the list. Basically, you hit f12 to screenshot then lunge. The timing is different for every computer and if your computer is strong enough, this move won’t work at all (I can’t do it). This will separate the actual lunge attack from your body, making the range of your lunge a little longer. It’s a pretty situational move, but it’s got it’s uses and is pretty easy to get down.

Grenade Lunge – There is a period in your lunge when you are invulnerable. So the concept behind this move is you drop a grenade, then at just the right second, you lunge your opponent. If you time it right, you won’t take damage but will get shot into the air like you just got a direct hit from a grenade.

Lunge tap – Ah, the ever infamous lunge tap. It’s a reverse extended lunge with a stab before the lunge. The steps are s, stab, s and lunge. What this does is when you do the windup for the lunge; you are already sliding backwards for the extended lunge, so you will not be recoiled. This serves as a block tap. Then you will quickly lunge forward just far enough to hit them, and then slide backwards from the extended lunge. If you do this to a turtle and they try to use their massive, there is a good chance they will get instafallen.

This is the end of my guide, I hope you enjoyed it.

Edit: This is leeched off from ijjigunz forum. it aint my guide
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

D-Style Guide Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-Style Guide   D-Style Guide Empty

Back to top Go down

D-Style Guide
Page 1 of 1